Heavy Rains and Cesspools: Are Floods Harmful?
Rainy days on Long Island can be a time for relaxing inside and forgetting your troubles. However these types of days can spell trouble for your Long Island cesspool. But did you know that while you were keeping dry indoors, potential damage could be occurring in your own backyard? When extra moisture lands on the ground it could be flooding your septic tank without you even realizing it. EZ Cesspool, one of the best Long Island cesspool companies, has some advice for you!
How Does a Septic Tank Get Flooded?
It is fairly easy for a septic tank to flood. In order to understand how this could happen, you should learn a bit more about septic tanks. First off, a Septic tanks has 3 Main Units:
- Inlet pipe: This pipe empties out all of the waste from your home into the septic tank.
- Tank: The tank is a two-chamber tank and is located underground. It holds the waste as it separates into sludge and effluent, or liquid.
- Drain field: The effluent is released into the soil through a perforated pipe. If it does not biodegrade properly, it could cause a clog. This is the part of the septic tank that could get saturated in the rain, causing it to flood.
It may be difficult to tell if your septic tank is flooded or not. Sometimes, it may just feel that there is a routine clog that needs cesspool pumping. But if water in your home is not draining properly, and there has recently been heavy rainfall, it is very likely that you have a flooded tank.
What Can I Do if My Cesspool is Flooded?
If your septic tank is unnaturally full of water, pumping it out yourself is not a viable solution. You can actually cause damage by attempting this. Instead, the best course of action is to significantly reduce the amount of water you use in your house. The drain field needs to be given time to try. Avoid using any appliances that use water. Truthfully the only real option is to call in a specialist. Trying to do the job yourself with chemicals will only worsen the problem.
Is There a Way to Prevent a Septic Tank Flood?
Thankfully, yes. Regular cesspool maintenance is the key to avoid flooding. But there are also several things you can do to avoid flooding your septic tank in times of heavy rain.
- Limit water use during a storm
- Flush only biodegradable material
- Make sure you know where your tank is. Do not drive or park near it.
- Only use biodegradable cleaners
- Regularly inspect and pump your septic tank
A cesspool flood can be a very stressful experience. But EZ Cesspool is here to help you! If you are not sure if you have a flood, call EZ Cesspool and we will come check it out for you. We will also provide you a free quote for any work that might need to be done including new cesspool installation and general septic system repair.
- Learn more about Freeport, NY 11520
- Open a Freeport, NY map
- Find the Freeport, NY United States Post Office
- Locate nearby Freeport, NY pharmacies
- View the current Freeport, NY weather report
- Browse a list of Freeport, NY public and private schools
- Freeport, NY is located in Nassau County on Long Island